Thursday, April 4, 2019

Walking stick woes

So just a fun little story about how some people do the weirdest things.

So seeing a lovely lady for back pain and right sciatica that she had for 7 months. She was 42 and had MS (not too bad when I was seeing her, remit stage main problem was fatigue) the hospital is a trek for her so she came in a wheelchair most days.

She had a very standard mechanical CLBP in presentation gave her some nice gentle AROMs for lumbar as she was tight in her paraspinals and built up from there with a graded ex programme and nerve glides.

She was booked in for a fourth session, no better and she really had been trying with the HEP. I was a bit confused and thinking maybe I need an MRI here somethings not right or was it an MS flare do I need an MRI stir…

I call her, she stands up exclaiming her fatigue is good today and she hobbles along with a walking stick which she had told me she always uses around the house and for short distances since her back pain started. She comes into my room with a stick that’s half way up her thigh in her right hand and is bearing down on it with full body weight on a right step. It’s a miracle she was walking upright!

Promptly corrected the height put it in the other hand told her to walk up and down with it. She exclaims “It doesn’t hurt!!!” I asked why on earth she had been using the stick so wrong for 6 months (when her back WORSENED) and she just said “That’s how House walks with it”… from the tv show…I wanted to just put my head on the desk. Needless to say next appt no pain no sciatica.

Always check gait especially with walking aids!!!

submitted by /u/the-best-jess
[link] [comments]
Walking stick woes published first on https://rehabhere.live/

No comments:

Post a Comment